For years now Matt Ryan haters and supporters have gone back and forth asking one question. Is Matt Ryan worth a 100 million dollars? Mad Mike will give you 10 reasons why Ryan deserves every bit of that money.
Why Matt Ryan is worth 100 million
1. Matt Ryan has 5 consecutive winning seasons 2008 – 2012 the most in Falcons history. For that Falcons Owner Arthur Blank saw fit to give Ryan a 103.75 million dollar contract extension (59 million guaranteed).
2. One of two quarterbacks in NFL history of the game to string together 4,500 yards passing 25 Touchdowns while maintaining a completion percentage above 66% (Peyton Manning first). Peyton Manning (5) Matt Ryan (3) Drew Brees (2)
3. Franchise records Passing yardage in a season 4,719 32 TDs completion percentage 68.6%
4. Falcons were the first to beat a great defensive team in Seattle Seahawks named the Legion of Boom in the playoffs.
5. In 2012 had the highest QBR in Championship game history with 95.6 against the NFL’s 2nd ranked pass defense San Francisco 49ers
6. Ryan had the most ever completed passes (439) by a team with worst rushing offense in the league.
7. Ryan holds the record most completions in a 7 year span of a Quarterbacks career. That’s more than Peyton Manning Tom Brady Aaron Rodgers.
8. 2nd most passing yards in 1st 7 years of quarterbacks career.
9. Through first 5 years as a starter, Matt Ryan has 16 4th quarter comebacks and 23 game winning comebacks.
There are many people that feel Matt Ryan is not worthy for such a large contract. Mainly because Ryan has not had much success in the playoffs. He has a post-season record 1-4 (which has to improve)
Although they have legitimate argument. I can say Matt Ryan has not had the pleasure of a consistent top ranked defense. Or an offensive line who is able to protect him and provide a solid running game. The Matt Ryan led offense has ALWAYS been the strength of the team.
With that said! Haters are going to find something to hate him for. Whether it’s because of their fantasy of Michael Vick returning to Atlanta. Or their belief that Ryan is not being worthy of the huge contract. Doesn’t matter… If you’re not satisfied with his stats and accomplishments, you’re probably looking for a pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow (Super Bowl) and nothing will satisfy you.
It’s a team game. All three phases… Offense, Defense and Special team have to work together in order to achieve the ultimate goal (Super Bowl). Something the Falcons have never had. That’s not a Matt Ryan problem. It’s an Atlanta Falcons problem.
Again, with that said, yo boi MADMIKE IS OUT!!!! Here’s a list of his awards & highlights.
3x Pro Bowl 2010, 2012, 2014
Pro Football Focus All Pro 2010
Pepsi NFL rookie of the week 2008
NFC Rookie of the Month Oct 2008
AP NFL offensive rookie of year 2008
PFWA Offensive rookie of the year 2008
Sporting News Rookie of the year 2008
Sporting News Rookie All Rookie Team 2008
NFC Offensive Player of the month Nov 2010 Sep 2012
ESPY Best Breakthrough Athlete 2009
ESPN Magazine Next Athlete Award 2009
Matt Ryan on Dan Patrick Show
Matt Ryan Deep throws *Proof he can throw deep*